A downloadable work in progress
Confront the past. Embrace the monstrous.
Resurrection Gate is an in-progress interactive fiction narrative about loss, liches, and what lingers at the edge of existence. It is being developed in Twine ®.
The end of a single life may go unnoticed in the grand scope of a war. But after one miserable human war has ended, one man's death and rebirth will lead to consequences for the living and dead alike.
Gameplay in Resurrection Gate is choice-based, revolving around dialogue, actions, and variables. Scenes alternate between two primary perspectives: two mercenaries whose home has been annihilated, and a lone monk who has been cast out of their monastery, denied salvation for their lack of faith. The three collaborate to pursue an accursed beast and claim the bounty on its head — but the Duke has his own plans for this unfortunate creature.
Every character has been shaped by their past, whether they are in the prime of their life, or have lived undead for years. What the future holds for them remains to be seen.
Resurrection Gate is currently in development. I am creating it as an independent developer who manages its writing, programming, and UI; it will also feature music and audio by @ruunemagick and art by @poppyapples, fellow independent creators who are being compensated for their work. (Current screenshots reflect placeholder visual assets which are either produced by me, or open license assets used in accordance with Creative Commons or the Public Domain.)
Updates will be posted on this page from time to time. To keep up with the development of this game, you can follow me here on itch or on Twitter for additional updates. You can also consider subscribing to my devlog tier ($3) on Patreon for more in-depth discussion of progress and more behind-the-scenes features each month! Patreon pledges also help fund the game's additional assets.
Resurrection Gate is part of a loose series of games involving the exploits of a quadumvirate of lich-lords, four uncanny enigmas who have defied death and chosen to linger among the living. All previous games in this collection can be viewed and played for free at the link below:
Collection: "And some part of me is mortal yet..."
- 👁️ View the world through different eyes: multiple playable characters whose points of view cycle from scene to scene, providing unique context and perspective throughout each chapter.
- 👁️ Choose which paths to follow: characters' actions can impact their progression through the narrative, as well as their personal wellbeing.
- 👁️ Robust state-tracking: a character's status, governed by both player choice and narrative events, will affect the choices, dialogue, and actions available to them. For instance, an injured character cannot perform certain actions, and a character lacking peace of mind may be unwilling to engage in others.
- 👁️ Interactive dialogue: haggle with merchants, name horses, argue with your companions, and appeal to the clemency of a hard-hearted ruler! Conversations build relationships — positive or negative — with NPCs, who may help or hinder the player later.
- 👁️ A second storyline featuring a new playable character becomes available after reaching an initial ending.
- 👁️ Featuring original music composed by Ruune!
- 👁️ Lush UI created using custom CSS and HTML!
- 👁️ Unique text mechanics allow for a smoother reading pace!
- 👁️ Created entirely in Twine®!
"Nothing in his life
became him like the leaving it..."
- Developer: G.C. Baccaris
- Based In: New York, United States
- Contact: grimoirtua(@)gmail(dot)com
- Social: @grimoirtua
- Release Date: TBA, 2021
- Platforms: Web-based; PC; Mac
- Language: English
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.